Children and Divorce

Children and Divorce

Family or relationship breakdowns often involve children. Issues that arise during Divorce or separation include which parent a child will live with, their contact with the other parent, and whether they may move abroad or to a different part of the UK.

Divorce proceedings involving children can be incredibly stressful for everyone involved, including the children. As expert Divorce Solicitors, we are very experienced in dealing with family breakdowns, and can give guidance as to how divorcing parents can seek the best solution for everyone involved.

If you urgently need to speak to a Family and Divorce Solicitor, call us on 01273 604 123 or email us at

“Amelia has been guiding me through my case from inception. I’m sure if it wasn’t for her guidance and reassuring manor I would not be where I am today. She is always available and gives you the real personal feel. She has treated my case as if it were her own and I will be forever grateful to her. Her technical law knowledge is also second to none.”

What is a Child Arrangements Order?

Divorce or separation can be an extremely difficult time as you and the other parent attempt to agree on who your children will live with, where they will live, and the amount of contact each parent should have.

You might be worried about:

  • Your ex-partner having contact with your child,
  • Your ex-partner not sticking to the contact arrangement you have agreed,
  • The choice in school for your child,
  • The name your child will use.

If parents are not able to come to a mutual agreement on decisions around who your child will live with and where, then either or both parents can apply to the Court for a Child Arrangements Order.

We regularly deal with Child Arrangements Orders and can explain how best to manage your case. We can assist you with completing application forms and the fee remission forms to ensure that your matter is started without any delay or further issue.

The Child Arrangements application can cover:

  • Prohibiting your ex from removing your child from your care,
  • Regulating contact, with penalties should either party not stick to the contact ordered,
  • Determining where and with whom your child should live and which school they should go to,
  • Determining if your child’s name needs to be changed.

It is vital that these forms are completed correctly to avoid them being returned by the Court, which can cause delay. These forms will form part of your evidence and be your position in the Child Arrangements proceedings, so it is crucial that they are right from the onset.

What can a Child Arrangements Order cover?

There are different types of Child Arrangements Orders. Often a Child Arrangements Order will cover who the child will live with, how much time is spent with the other parent, and what kind of contact that will be.

Specific Issue Orders are made by the Court to settle disputes between parents over major issues relating to the welfare or upbringing of a child. This could include medical treatment, changing schools, or religious issues.

A Prohibited Steps Order is created to stop a parent from continuing a specific action in relation to a child, such as trying to take the child out of the country or moving them to a different school.

I have just received Notice of a Child Arrangements Hearing. What do I do?

If you have received notice of your ex-partner’s Child Arrangements Hearing, you are probably anxious about having to face their solicitor in Court and worried about what arrangements the Court might order.

It is imperative that you speak to an experienced Family and Divorce Solicitor about how to engage with the Court and your former partner’s solicitor. It is very important that you attend the Hearings; if you do not, orders can be made in your absence.

We are highly experienced in representing our clients at Child Arrangement Hearings. We will:

  • Discuss your matter at length, giving you a chance to explain your position and what it is you are seeking,
  • Talk you through the options and your next steps so you have a clear plan,
  • Ensure your voice is heard at the Hearing and you fully understand the options being put to you,
  • See if an agreement can be reached with your ex-partner or their solicitor without the need to go to Court. If you do need to go to Court, we can represent you.

Let us help you

To speak to our expert Family and Divorce team, call us on 01273 604 123 or email us at

At your consultation, you will discuss your unique situation with an expert family law solicitor. We will talk about your options and next steps, let you know the time frames we expect, and the estimated costs involved. We offer remote meetings by phone or video call if preferred.