saving and investment support for older people

As you get older, you may find yourself worrying more about your health, finances, and providing for your loved ones in the future.

Our Services for You

At Burt Brill & Cardens, we understand the importance of making big decisions, especially when it comes to your finances, and we are here to help so you can enjoy your later years worry free.

Our solicitors have experience in providing the following services:

Lasting Power of Attorney

If you are concerned that you won’t be able to make decisions for yourself in the future, you can appoint someone you trust to do this on your behalf. Making a Lasting Power of Attorney involves appointing someone, such as a friend, family member or a solicitor to make important decisions based on your best interests if you are no longer able to do so yourself. If you do not have a suitable relative or friend then a Partner in this Firm can act on your behalf. We will advise on the terms and conditions to be considered.

A Lasting Power of Attorney is a simple, inexpensive but very effective document. It is specifically designed to cope with the problems that arise if through ill-health or accidents you no longer have the ability to deal with your financial affairs.

Once the document has been completed, it can be kept in our strong room and it need not be touched unless, or until, it is needed.

We’ve acted for many people over the years, taking into account their individual interests and needs and making decisions from important ones such as those relating to property through to paying for day to day items . Our personal service ensures we get to know you as well as possible. You need to make a Lasting Power of Attorney appointing a suitable person to manage your affairs when you no longer feel able to do so at a time when you are able to give the matter your full consideration. You cannot make one after you have lost the ability to make decisions for yourself. Contact us today to see how we can help.

Will-Making Services

When it comes to something as important as your Will, you need an expert that you can trust. David Edwards is the Head of Private Client services at Burt Brill & Cardens and has a great deal of experience and expertise in dealing with trusts, wills and probate. If instructed he will personally make sure that, in the event of your death, your property and assets are given in accordance with your wishes set out in your Will.

Even if you have a Will already, it is still worth while getting it looked over by an expert to ensure that your Will is exactly as you want it, that there are no errors in it and that it takes account of your present circumstances. Sadly errors are more common than they should be when it comes to wills and can lead to disputes. It is much better to be safe in the knowledge that all is as it should be. If you have any questions regarding Wills email David today at or call the office on 01273 604123.

Management of your Financial Affairs

If you don’t want to worry about your finances, we can manage your financial affairs and provide a comprehensive solution to any money worries you may have. Whether you have a few hundred pounds or significant savings, we can manage every penny to make sure you’ll be secure for the future.

This service includes payment of bills, nursing home fees, dealing with the Department of Social Security where necessary and advising you on any other assets or property that you have. We can arrange for your bills to be sent direct to us to be paid out of your funds – saving you time and worry.

Having helped so many people in this way, Burt Brill & Cardens know how important it is for you to know we’re doing what’s right for you, so just tell us what you need help with and we’ll do just that. We will report to you regularly so that you are kept fully informed.

Management of your savings and investments

In addition to looking after payment of bills on your behalf, we can also look after your savings and investments for you.

As solicitors regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, we are not able to give financial advice, but we can arrange for a Financial Planning company, which is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to give financial advice. They can provide you with clear advice on all aspects of your investments and savings and together we can review your financial situation to provide advice on proper money planning for the future. They can also arrange for a review of all your existing savings and investments to ensure that they are suitable.

We currently administer millions of pounds on behalf of a wide range of clients from various backgrounds. You do not need to be wealthy to take advantage of our service – it can be a useful and appropriate solution whatever your situation may be. We provide support and advice for persons with only a few hundred pounds and for those with rather more.

Burt Brill & Cardens Solicitors

Together, these services mean that we can offer you a complete package covering financial and general affairs. For many of our clients, particularly those living alone, being able to rely on us to deal with their finances relieves them of considerable anxiety. Unlike many solicitors, we’re able to visit you at home. We’ve found this important to those who are unable to travel to our offices.

As one of the longest standing solicitors firms in Brighton, we have been looking after families of all generations for over 100 years. We are able to offer a wide range of professional advice and practical support.

When you need it most, we can provide a personal touch, a friendly voice on the phone and trusted financial security through expert advice. We understand that having financial worries as you get older can be a cause for major concern, and that allowing us to take stock of your situation can relieve a lot of anxiety.

A Solicitor You Can Trust

We are able to offer more information and details tailored personally to your situation and are happy to meet with you in person.

Contact us today on 01273 604123 or email to arrange an initial interview or to discuss any matter of concern.

Contact Us