Position: Director and Dispute Resolution Solicitor
Tel: 01273 604123
Kevin is a highly experienced solicitor specialising in family (financial provision), employment, professional negligence, commercial litigation and mediation.
A Director at Burt Brill & Cardens, he also a CEDR Accredited and Court of Appeal Mediator and a Member of The Law Society’s, Civil and Commercial Mediation Panel.
What our clients say ..
Examples of feedback from clients about Kevin’s work as a solicitor and mediator are as follows:-
- “We needed a heavy weight litigator in this case and our expectations of Mr Smyth were fully met.”
- “Kevin was excellent, as usual. He is a lovely chap who deals with these disputes extremely well. He is sympathetic to the client and understands that settling the dispute will result in a release of stress and pressure. He facilitated a settlement and closure for everyone. We thought he was very good. “
- “He did really well in a really difficult case.”
- “He mastered the detail and Law in the case at a very early stage and the highly successful result was undoubtedly due in very large measure to his hard work, as well as his attention to detail.”
- “He is uniquely qualified to be a mediator. He was dedicated, organised, experienced and proficient.””
Admitted Solicitor of the Supreme Court in July 1973, Kevin was made a partner in the firm in 1975 and was appointed Head of Litigation in 1986.
- Appointed to the CEDR Solve Panel of Mediators 2000 – re-appointed May 2011.
- Appointed to the Panel of Mediators to the Court of Appeal Mediation Scheme in October 2003.
- Currently a Nominated Chairman of Committees hearing Review Applications and Appeals against decisions of the Legal Aid Agency’s Special Cases Unit.
- Independent Adjudicator appointed by Legal Aid Agency to determine Appeal and Review Applications (both SCU and non-SCU Cases).
- Panel member of the Legal Aid Agency’s Special Contracts Review Panel (which determines Appeal and Review Applications in high cost or multi party and complex cases.
Membership of Professional Organisations
- The Law Society
- Resolution formerly Solicitors Family Law Association
Membership of Law Society Panels
- Family Law Panel, since June 1999.
- Civil/Commercial Mediation Panel,Practitioner Member since August 2002
- Former Chairman of Governors, Worth School.
- Board Advisor to Worth Abbey Ltd
- Director and Company Secretary of the Martlets Hospice Ltd
- Honorary Solicitor to the Universities of Brighton and Sussex Catholic Chaplaincy Association